Skip to content

Frequently asked questions

How does Local Land Services work?

We are a statewide body with 11 regions covering NSW.

How are you financed?

Local Land Services is funded through Australian government, NSW government, ratepayers and private investment.

Is Local Land Services part of the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)?

No, we are separate. There is a close working relationship between the two organisations.

Who are Local Land Services responsible to?

We are responsible to the NSW Minister for Primary Industries, Land and Water.

Which region am I in?

When you receive your rates notice, the name of your Local Land Services will appear on the notice. Alternatively authority maps can be found on the Local Land Services website

Why do I have to pay rates?

The rates you pay to Local Land Services allow your local region to fund the services it provides to landholders and contribute to other important statewide functions. The Local Land Services Act 2013 requires Local Land Services to charge rates on land that is deemed to be rateable under the Act.

What do I get for my rates?

Along with Australian and NSW Government funding, rates are a source of income for Local Land Services. They are used to finance the region's services to the rural community. These services include activities related to:

  • the control of declared pest animals and insects (access to baits, traps and chemicals, advice on control methods and assistance in forming groups to tackle pests)
  • the provision of animal health services (animal health and drought feeding advice, diagnosis of flock and herd issues and response to emergency disease outbreaks)
  • the management of travelling stock reserves (TSRs) (issue of movement permits, permits to graze or walk stock on TSRs and roads, and advice about feed/water availability on TSRs)
  • the administration of stock identification systems (property identification codes, brands and earmarks and compliance with National Livestock Identification System)
  • and local administration of drought and other natural disaster relief.

Our animal health service plays a vital role in safeguarding access to both domestic and international markets. Local Land Services works collaboratively on state and federal animal health programs, delivering flow-on effects for rural communities.

How are my rates calculated?

Rates are charged on a two-tier basis, involving a general rate paid by all landholders and a supplementary animal health rate. Rates are approved by the Minister for Primary Industries or our statewide Chair. Further information about rates is available here.

What's a notional carrying capacity and who works it out?

The notional carrying capacity is an estimate, worked out by your Local Land Services, of the number of stock a property would normally carry in an average year. It is based on stock units per hectare.

What if I disagree with the notional carrying capacity assessment?

You can lodge an appeal with us at any time, however this will only affect rate amounts if received within 28 days of receiving your rates notice.

I'm not rural - council zoned my property as residential. Do I still have to pay rates?

Local government zoning is not relevant to Local Land Services districts.

How do I find out the latest farm management information?

We work closely with DPI and other bodies carrying out research to share best practice information with the community. Local Land Services publications are available via this website including our email newsletters.

If I pay rates, do I get baits and other things free?

Most merchandise (eg baits, stock signs) are charged on a cost recovery basis.

What support is out there to help me improve my land?

We run a variety of grant programs to support natural resource management and sustainable agricultural production. To find what is currently available visit our website or call your Local Land Services office. We also run regular workshops and have a range of fact sheets, publications and videos available to support you. These are available from our website.

Why do I need to use a private vet when my authority has a district vet?

Our district vets provides a herd/flock health service whereas private practitioners are responsible for treating individual animals.

What is an annual return? Why is it important?

Annual returns gather information about stock held on the land as at 30 June. They contain information essential for livestock disease control and surveillance. They take only a few minutes to complete but are invaluable in the event of a disease outbreak. The due date for lodgement is 31 August each year. You are required to lodge a return each year even if you don't have stock.

How do I have a say in how Local Land Services is run?

As a ratepayer, you are eligible to nominate to become a Board member in your Local Land Services region. Board elections are held every four years and current Board member details are on our website. We also operate a number of community advisory groups. Visit our website or call your Local Land Services office to find out more.

How do I register a complaint about the service I've received from Hunter Local Land Services?

If you are, for any reason, dissatisfied with the service you have received from Hunter Local Land Services, or with the performance of staff or contractors providing the service, you can register a complaint via the following methods.

Formal complaints can be made verbally (provided the matter is explicitly identified as a complaint, and has not yet been able to be resolved), or in writing by email or mail. Notification of a formal complaint may be made directly or via a staff member on your behalf.

Formal complaints made in writing should be directed to:
Email: with the 'Formal Complaint' in the subject field
Mail: Complaints, General Manager, Private Bag 2010, Paterson, NSW 2421

You can also provide feedback on customer service online.