Board meeting - 18 September 2014
The fifth meeting of the Hunter Local Land Services (HLLS) Board was held in Dungog.
Susan Hooke chaired the meeting. Board members in attendance were Ted Laurie, Ron Campbell, Peter Bishop Jnr, Tony Hegarty and Daryl Dutton. An apology was received from James Clark.
HLLS support staff were also present.
Community Advisory Group
The Board provided feedback on the Lower Hunter community Advisory Group meeting – the first of which was held the previous day at Wallarobba Memorial Hall. The Board also provided feedback on the informal community session held at Wallarobba, following the meeting of the advisory group. The Board was very pleased with contributions from the community. The Board acknowledged the effort of staff to make both events a success and suggested a range of initiatives to make subsequent events even more successful.
The Board reviewed and noted progress in merging the State LLS Strategy with the existing draft Hunter LLS Regional Strategy. The Board reviewed some preliminary economic analysis which will assist setting priorities and targets for the range of rural industries. Based on feedback from the Lower Hunter Advisory Group, the Board affirmed the utility of the five interim business goals. The Board agreed that Hunter LLS needs strong measurable Key Performance Indicators at the local level that align with state indicators.
District Delivery Plans
The Board formally approved the investment principles that guide this years service and project delivery. The Board reviewed and noted the delivery plans for Lower Hunter, Upper Hunter and Manning Great Lakes districts.
- The Board reviewed and approved the reports from the General Manager which included implementation progress and planned activities/issues across business areas of biosecurity, natural resource management, agricultural extension and emergency management.
- The Board noted the pleasing numbers of clients attending training workshops and information days and the many instances of positive feedback on the benefits of clients accessing information and services across the four pillars of LLS.
- The Board reviewed and approved the Business and Finance report and noted progress in development of monthly income and expenditure targets and reporting.
- The Board reviewed and approved a report on the current status of emergency management preparedness and progress of Hunter LLS toward achieving trained, competent and mission ready personnel.
- The Board resolved to establish an audit and Risk Committee, with Daryl Dutton to Chair. Terms of Reference to be confirmed at the first meeting of the committee, to be held in October 2014.
- The Board approved the merger of Muswellbrook and Scone offices, with the office and facilities to be based at Scone TAFE.
- The Board noted progress in consultation with staff regarding Wingham and Taree offices.
- The Board reviewed and approved the report on Work Health and Safety.
- The Board discussed implementation of the Hunter LLS Motor Vehicle Policy and staff access to motor vehicles to enable high quality service delivery.
- The Board agreed on a process and time line to undertake the regular performance review of the General Manager.